Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cottage Side Table


My latest project was a little side/end table I found at a thrift store. When I bought it the finish on top was peeling off. This little table had definitely seen better days.

It seems that everyone is now using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to paint furniture. With a price of almost $40 per quart, many people have started to make their own "chalk paint" recipes. I decided to try one of these chalk paint recipes on this piece. One thing I noticed is that the paint did seem easier to distress (it came off nicely) and it adhered very well. They say you do not have to sand or prime with it, but in my case, priming might have been a good idea since the top had areas of raw wood and finished wood... and I even sanded before I started. If I had primed, I would not have had to use as many coats of paint.

I used a light grey color on the whole piece, (it almost looks like an off-white) and spray painted the old, gold hardware with an oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I will definitely used this spray paint on hardware again. It gave it a great finish, and updated it as well! After the paint dried, (within 15 minutes) I waxed it with Minwax finishing paste.



 Here is a sneak peak of my next project! Just the other day I scored this empire dresser off of craigslist. I have been wanting one of these for over a year! These pieces can be worth alot.


I got even more excited when I saw this empire dresser makeover from picked and painted. It's an amazing transformation and fun update!




Linking up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...