When I saw this piece at an estate sale down the road, I knew it had potential. First thing I noticed were the paneled sides (been wanting one with paneled sides). I knew right away I was going to paint the dresser, but thought the oak top should be left alone. I left one of the glass handles on for the picture, but they were all there.
I did some research and found out that this is an eastlake dresser. Finding out the specific style of dresser lets me know the age and value. Most places I looked said these were from the late 1800's to early 1900's. So much history! I have learned so much from upcycling many different styles of furniture!
When I bought the dresser I thought I was going to toss the hardware since it looked scratched/fogged up and covered in years of grossness. The picture does not show how bad they looked. My mom thought they were plastic. When I took them off she realized they were glass and thought they could be worth something. I soaked them in vinegar and hot water for about 15 minutes, and after a little scrub they look nice and shiny! From what I found the hardware alone is worth about 50 or 60 bucks!
The dresser got a couple coats of a grey-ish paint (has blue and purple undertones). I sanded the top down to bare wood, then applied one coat of Rustoleum's Dark Walnut stain. I only did one coat because I wanted to be able to see the wood grain. Too dark and it all blends together. I put 3 coats of polyurethane on the top, and waxed the painted parts of the dresser. I added the newly cleaned hardware, and the dresser was done!
Linking up with: