In my last post I said my next project way going to be the empire dresser... but things have changed. I ended up starting other projects that were smaller/faster/easier. I plan on starting it this week and hopefully finishing it as well. Now that I have the paint and hardware for the drawers, I can get started.
I unexpectedly got a dresser from my uncle that her no longer wanted. He was moving and did not need it anymore. The fun part was it used to be my dad's before my parents were married, them they handed it down to my uncle, and now he gave it back to them... well, me :)
I did another modified mid-century dresser for part of my senior project, and this one turned out similar. I think if I get one again I will have to try something new. Or not. I like the contrast of dark and light as well as the sleek look. The difference between the two is the this one is a true mid century modern dresser, with no hardware. Like the first one I did, this dresser was in good condition, except the top was ruined.
The dresser does not look bad before, it just needed to be reinvented with some stain and paint. The legs were in the bottom drawer, but it does have legs! Five to be exact.
I sanded the whole dresser down, stained the sides, all 9 drawers and the top. The stain soaked in unevenly on the top because of some spot where things had been spilt, so it got primed and painted in a crisp white. I used polyurethane over the stain to seal it, then added the legs. I don't know why I did not add the fifth leg in the middle. It will probably get screwed on before I sell it. I think it would look great as a console. The top drawers can be converted into a place to home the TV components by taking out the drawers, drilling a hole behind each one, and finishing the edges.