Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cottage Side Table


My latest project was a little side/end table I found at a thrift store. When I bought it the finish on top was peeling off. This little table had definitely seen better days.

It seems that everyone is now using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to paint furniture. With a price of almost $40 per quart, many people have started to make their own "chalk paint" recipes. I decided to try one of these chalk paint recipes on this piece. One thing I noticed is that the paint did seem easier to distress (it came off nicely) and it adhered very well. They say you do not have to sand or prime with it, but in my case, priming might have been a good idea since the top had areas of raw wood and finished wood... and I even sanded before I started. If I had primed, I would not have had to use as many coats of paint.

I used a light grey color on the whole piece, (it almost looks like an off-white) and spray painted the old, gold hardware with an oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I will definitely used this spray paint on hardware again. It gave it a great finish, and updated it as well! After the paint dried, (within 15 minutes) I waxed it with Minwax finishing paste.



 Here is a sneak peak of my next project! Just the other day I scored this empire dresser off of craigslist. I have been wanting one of these for over a year! These pieces can be worth alot.


I got even more excited when I saw this empire dresser makeover from picked and painted. It's an amazing transformation and fun update!




Linking up with:

Monday, August 13, 2012

Stenciled Table

This table started out looking very... weathered... and I like things weathered!



I recently bought a stencil off of craigslist, and decided to try it out on this little table. After sanding it, I used a small foam roller and some off white paint I already had, and stenciled the top. It is not perfect around the edges because some of the paint got under the stencil, but I kind of expected it.




Next I stained over the stencil. I stained it like I would normally stain any other piece. The stain soaked into the wood, and lightly covered the painted areas. You can still see the pattern, but now it has a whole different look.




After the top had dried, I polyurethaned it. I picked a grey to paint the base that gives the table some contrast. It reminds me of a game table.

You can see in the third picture that when the sides are put up they are not level, but if they are kept down the middle portion of the table is perfectly useable! With some work this could be an amazing, level table, but I don't have that skill :( For now it's just sitting... and I don't know what to do with it. I'm just glad it got saved!




Thursday, August 2, 2012

Experimenting


For a while I have wanted to find a dresser I could try a new technique on. Instead of painting the outside of the dresser and staining the drawers, I wanted to do the opposite. I searched craigslist for an antique dresser because I like the style and character they have. I found this one and knew it was perfect for the project. (Sorry, the pictures are not the best. I forgot to take before pictures so these are the ones from the craigslist post.)




I went and picked it up with the help of my friend and brought it home. It had previously been painted a bright red-ish coral color, and then stripped down to bare wood. There were some spots where the paint was left, but I just sanded it off. The wood on this piece was different all over. The drawer were different than the sides, which were different from the legs and so on. Other than the two chips in the veneer on the middle drawer, the dresser was in great shape! That is really hard to find (at least in my experience). I started by staining the whole piece, including the drawers, but the different woods made the dresser look kind of funky. That's when I decided to paint the drawers.

I used a light green/blue color. I like to call it robin's egg green (since it is more green than blue). It is a VERY bright color, and on its own was a little too out there. I have seen (or read) or others doing a weathered/distressed look by putting stain over paint and just decided to go for it. I had never tried it before, I learned as I went... and it turned out alright!



First what I did was rub a dark walnut stain (I use Rustoleum's ultimate since it is water based and it is also the same stain I used on the body of the dresser) over the whole drawer. It looks way too dark at first and like you just ruined the drawer, but then I took a cotton rag (a sock with a hole in my case) and wiped it back off. If you don't cover the whole drawer with stain, it turns out striped. The stained helps the paint blend better with the whole piece. It toned down the bright color and added a grey tone to the drawer. To seal it I put a coat of polyurethane over the whole dresser, added the hardware and it was finished!





Linking up with:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...