I posted about the before of this piece a short while ago. I love antique cabinets like these and was really happy to finally find one to paint. Overall this piece was in good condition, but there were locks to be taken off and holes that needed to be filled all over. I don't know what someone used to keep in here, but 3 locks is a lot to have on one of these wardrobe cabinets.
You can see in the previous 'before' picture that there were two sets of drawers inside. The set on the right was added at some point, and they weren't the most quality little drawers. The rails that the drawers slid on were coming off, so I chose to take the drawers and all of the other parts out of the right side and make it back into a storage/hanging area. It still has the original hanging rod and while I did consider adding a shelf, I ultimately decided to leave it at it was originally made to be.
I did some light sanding over the whole piece and a bunch of filling. For paint I used 'Lazy Linen' by Country Chic Paint. CCP is a chalk paint that is no VOC and while I don't normally prefer using chalk paint, I'm really loving this stuff. It's not thick like other chalk paints and... it has awesome coverage! I only used 2 coats on the outside with no priming or anything. That made my week! The outside color is just this gorgeous, soft, creamy grey. I will definitely be using it again in the future :) As I began painting I opted to give the insets on the front of the doors a wash. I really didn't know how it would turn out, but I like it. It helps to add some definition and highlight the insets. I seem to be wanting to add a washed detail to everything after I painted the striped washed top on this table.
On the interior I wanted to add some color. I originally painted the drawers in CCP 'Rustic Charm' which is a pretty green, but I thought the light grey and green looked too juvenile, so I changed the color of drawers to CCP 'Backyard Picnic', which is more of a teal green. On the right side of the interior I mixed up a custom grey using General Finishes 'Seagull Grey' and 'Queenstown Grey'. It currently only has one coat and I like the worn look of some of the wood showing through, so I plan to leave it. And not that anyone would notice, but I left the hanging rod wood, but that's really the only part that remained untouched by my paint brush. Really happy with how it came out. To seal I used Maison Blanche clear wax. I've been having trouble with poly topcoats yellowing lately, so I stayed away on this piece.
If you want to see more Before & Afters, visit the 'Before & After' page, or click here
Linking up with: